Saturday, January 5, 2013

Grocery Shopping - January ($147.40 spent ... thats almost half my budget!)

Well, I'm not sure how well my $300 a month grocery budget is going to hold up when it is only January 5th and I have spend almost half of my budget.  I foresee a lot of eating out of the freezer in the follow weeks.  Well, here is what I have spent so far this year:

Amazon - $16.86

I stocked up on Charmin toilet paper ... I love buying in bulk from Amazon when I can get it cheaper that any of our local stores and it gets delivered to my door!!!

Target - $3.00

I totally scored today at Target!  Stopped in to check on clearance toys to see what was marked down to 30% right now, so I would have an idea what to look for when it hits 70% off.  I made my little list and can't wait till it actually happens.  While I was there I floated by the Christmas clearance section marked down to 90% off (and pretty much picked over) ... however, on the bottom shelf their was a large amount of Christmas (red, green, and brown) semisweet chocolate chips ... I heard a lady say that she scanned them and they came up .25 each!!!  Crazy good deal ... I grabbed 12 and headed over to the price checker and sure enough .25 each (those are regularly 2.99 to 3.69 each)!!!  I completely scored ... I shared my joy with several people today and most thought I was crazy (other than my mom!)

Safeway - $127.54

Ohhh I should have been more prepared.  I have been fighting a cold all week and I had a list compiled, however, I think some of the items should have waited until I could get better deals.  On the good side I was able to stock up on Peanut Butter.  Here's the breakdown:

1 - Pepsi 24 pk (for Todd, I gave up soda at the beginning of the year!!!) - 7.99 (I know it was on sale at Fred Meyer for 5.99 but I didn't want to make the extra stop)
1 - Pizza Sauce - 1.49
2 - Dasani Water 24pks - 3.99 each
2 - Creamy Jif Peanut Butter - 2.49 each
2 - Crunchy Jif Peanut Butter - 2.49 each
1 - Snapple Peach Tea 6pk - 4.99 each
2 - Hefty Kitchen Bags - 5.99 each
2 - Lucerne Butter - 2.99 each
1 - Tillamook Shredded Mozzarella 3.99 each
2 - Tillamook Shredded Italian Blend 3.99 each (buy 2 cheeses, get the 3rd FREE)
1 - Gallon Whole Milk - 2.79
2 - Apple Pies - .50 each
2 - Cherry Pies - .50 each
1 - Loaf of Sourdough Bread - 2.99
1 - Loaf of French Bread - 1.29
1 - Loaf Franz Bread - 3.49
1 - Franz English Muffins (buy 1 get 1 FREE Franz products)
1 - Hormel Pepperoni - 2.49
1 - RR Chuck Pot Roast - 9.90
1 - RR Bottom Round Roast - 11.17
   ***used 5.00 off $20.00 RR purchase
1 - Bag (2 lbs) Raw Shrimp - 13.98
Bananas @.49/lb
Oranges @ .99/lb
Golden Delicious Apples @ 1.49/lb
Gala Apples @ 1.69/lb
1 - Head of Lettuce - .88
1 - Bag of Red Potatoes - 2.99
1 - Bag of Carrots - .99
1 - Swiss Cheese - 4.99
1 - Turkey Deli Meat - 10.69
1 - Ham Deli Meat - 3.70
   ***used 10.00 off $50.00+ purchase

So, lets see what happens with the rest of the month ... wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I never thought about buying toilet paper from amazon! I will need to look into that. I usually get mine from Costco. I don't think it's any cheaper, but I like the Kirkland brand.

    It's so frustrating that food costs so much. It doesn't even look like you bought much crap food. The damn real food is expensive.

    Good for you for not drinking soda! Are you drinking something else instead? We've been out of pepsi for 10 days now & I refuse to go to the store just to get any. So in the 10 days I've only had 2 sodas! That's a record for me. As embarrassing as it is to say this, typically I would have probably had about 30 sodas in that 10 days. But, do you think I've lost any weight? No!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen - I am a Charmin snob when it comes to toilet paper and it seems to be on the expensive side so when I find a deal on Amazon I have to stock up!!!

    As far as the soda goes I am only replacing it with water (note all the Dasani - which I love!!!). It was one of my New Years Resolutions along with joining Weigh Watchers online ... my goal is to do something for myself this year! I can't believe how hard day two and three where with NO caffiene ... the headaches I thought were going to be the end of me ... but the last two days have been much better!

    ReplyDelete