Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week 2 --- $124.70 (maybe I need to rethink the $100/wk?)

So again this week I was over my hopeful $100/week budget.  There were definitely some places I could have cut back, but after talking with Todd, we decided to buy the items that I wanted (some GREAT stock up prices this week!!!) and we would see what happens over the next few weeks and re-evaluate at that point.

So here's what I bought:

Safeway (spices and sale items only)

2 - Orville Redenbacher Popcorn - 3 pk (on sale for 1.99 each)
   - used 2 .40 off coupons (found next to the popcorn)

1 - Wishbone Italian Dressing (.99 with in-ad coupon)

1 - McCormick's Basil (3.59)
   - used .75 off coupon

1 - McCormick's Parsley (3.59)
   - used .75 off coupon

*McCormick's Catalina prints for $1.50 off your next order when you purchase 2 products (what a nice surprise!)

2 - Ziploc Gallon Freezer Bags (2.99 each with in-ad coupon)
   - used 1.00 off 2 coupon

3 - All detergents (on sale for 3.33 each)
   - used 1.00 off coupon (wished I would have had 3 of these!)

1 - Fem. Hygiene Product (4.99 with in-ad coupon)
   - used 1.00 off coupon

1 - ER Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (11.38)*
  * Part of Mix and Match Special BOGO Free
1 - ER Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (11.17)*
  * Part of Mix and Match Special BOGO Free
1 - ER Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (10.05)*
  * Part of Mix and Match Special BOGO Free
1 - ER Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (10.02)*
  * Part of Mix and Match Special BOGO Free

1 - Safeway Chicken Thighs (5.52)

4 - lemons (on sale for .50 each)

used double coupons (2.00)
used $10 off $50 purchase coupon

Safeway Total:  $44.76 (and have my $1.50 Catalina to use next week)(estimated $56.97 in savings - or 56%)

Fred Meyer (sales items only)

Transaction #1 (Todd)

10 - Tillamook Cheese Shredded Medium (1.00 each with in-ad coupon)

10 - Hershey's Candy Bars (5 for $2 with in-ad coupon)

Transaction #1 Total:  $14.00

Transaction #2

10 - Tillamook Cheese Shredded Medium (1.00 each with in-ad coupon)

4 - Precious Stringsters (2.50 each price-reduction)
   - used 4 1.00 off coupons (Oregonian 1-2-11)

3 - Sharpie Permanent Twin Pkg (1.00 each with in-ad coupon)

1 - Envelopes (1.00 each with in-ad coupon)

2 - Glad Trash bags (4.99 each with in-ad coupon)

10 - Hershey's Candy Bars (5 for $2 with in-ad coupon)

Roma Tomatoes (1.20)

2 - Campbell's Soups (on sale for 1.00 each)
   - used .40 off 2 coupon (Oregonian 1-2-11)

6 - Hawaii's Own Punch (.50 each with in-ad coupon)

Transaction #2 Total:  $38.40

Fred Meyer Total:  $52.40 (estimated 27.86 in savings - or 26%)

Winco (the remainder)

1 - Bisquick (2.62)
   - used .40 off coupon

1 - Caesar Salad (2.48)
1 - Red Bell Pepper (.88)
1 - Green Bell Pepper (.48)
1 - Head of Lettuce (.98)
1 - Bunch of Green Onions (.68)

4 - McCormick Chicken Gravy (.48 each)
1 - McCormick Ground Mustard (2.52)
1- Dijon Mustard (2.36)

1 - Franz bread (1.78)
1 - Garlic Bread (1.98)
1 - Croutons (1.48)

1 - Digiorno Pizza (4.98)
1 - Caprisun (1.97)

1 - Soft Soap (1.38)
   - used .35 off coupon

Winco Total:  $27.64 (estimated .85 in savings - or 3%)

Grand Total for Week 2:  $124.70 ($24.70 over what I had hoped!) (estimated $85.68 in savings - or 40.7%)

Even though I was over budget again this week I did manage to put 6 (and possibly one more depending on how tomorrow goes) dinners in the freezer for us to use over the next few weeks.

Here's what they are:

2 - Chicken Supreme (serves 3)
1 - Marinated Barbecued Chicken (serves 4)
1 - Italian Slow Cooker Chicken (servers 4)
1 - Lemon Chicken (serves 4)
1 - Honey Chicken (serves 4)

*if these recipes turn out I will post some - this is my first time trying to make "freezer meals" so we will see how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Budgeting sucks, that's what I think. It's important but it still sucks. It's especially hard when you feel like you buy only necessities, & food is a necessity, & you still spend more than you wanted. And, it doesn't seem like you bought foo-foo extra things. My only word of caution is that in my experience, when I go over budget, I never am able to recoup that money. I tell myself I will subtract it from next week's budget, but it never seems to work out that way. I hope you have better luck with that than I do. Maybe you should up your budget to $125, if you can. But, then I'd be afraid that now I would make it ok to spend $140.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen - I understand completely ... I'm not sure where are budget will take us but I know we need to figure something out. There are a lot of things we would like to do in the next few years and we are trying to save our money. I don't want to cut out all of the things that we do so I figured I would start with a grocery budget and see where our money was spent. Once I get this down I will see what other areas we can budget and make cuts on (plus I hate the fact that I feel that we live from payday to payday and I don't really know where the money goes!)

    ReplyDelete